Benefits of Home Heating Oil
Choose a safe, efficient, and reliable fuel for your home heating each winter: choose oil heat. Learn interesting facts about this fuel and the benefits of heating your home with oil.
Facts about Oil Burners
- The EPA has stated oil burners are one of the cleanest combustion sources. New oil burners are nearing zero emissions of smoke or combustible discharge.
- Oil burners are as clean as gas and propane and are cleaner burning than wood stoves.
- Oil burners are the hottest flames, 400° hotter than gas. This means that oil heats your home faster and uses less fuel to do it.
- There are minimal legal requirements for the storage of oil tanks and systems, and homeowners are exempt from regulations and deadlines for upgrades found on other types of underground tank systems.
Safety and Environment
- Oil will not burn in a liquid state. It is non-explosive until it is vaporized, which starts to occur at 140°. This is not remotely close to temperatures inside a home.
- The storage of oil tanks has no threat to the health of your family or the environment, and tanks are built to last decades. There are affordable services available to protect your oil tank and proactively prevent it from leaking.
- Oil is non-toxic, contains no carcinogens, and is biodegradable.
- Many local oil companies provide 24/7 emergency service to keep your home safe and warm.
- By upgrading your system, you can save up to 30-40% on fuel costs alone each year, giving you a potential payback of your system upgrade in under five years.
- Converting from oil to gas can cost upwards of $10,000 in parts and labor, while updating oil equipment can save you money.
- Oil puts out more heat per energy units (BTUs) than other fuels. Oil can put out 140,000 BTU/gallon of oil, where gas puts out 100,000 BTU/therm (1 gallon of oil is equal to 1.5 therms of gas). This means that one therm of gas gets you less heat than one gallon of oil.
- The price of gas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has increased 163% in the past seven years. The price of gas in likely to increase even more over the next several years due to the new demand produced due to electric generation and industrial processing.
- Natural gas is predicted to rise 16% this winter, while homeowners using heating oil are expected to spend 15% less, on average, than last year if long-term weather forecasts hold. If temperatures are as little as 10% warmer than anticipated, the savings may be as high as 24%!
- Heating oil is at a four year low. Compared to last year, there has been a $.47 drop in oil per gallon as a US residential average for home heating oil. For a 275 gallon tank, the average household is saving nearly $100 per fill-up compared to last year.
- You can store your oil tanks on your own property, where you have your own controlled supply. Gas pipelines are subject to pressure drops which can lead to a loss of heat in your house.
- Choosing oil allows you to choose your preferred local energy provider. Local dealers give you the opportunity to choose which services you need and are nearby for your peace of mind, unlike major utilities.
- Dealers analyze your usage patterns, fuel tank size, and weather patterns to accommodate for automatic fuel delivery for added comfort and peace of mind heating of your home.
- 14 million other homes have chosen to heat with oil and enjoy all the benefits of it.